I don’t know about you all but this is one of my most favorite time of the year. Yes that’s right Android updates are upon us and for the first time in history android will not be named after a desert. Google has made things simpler so welcome to the new Android 10. This is a very important update because it’s going to support and optimize newer technologies like 5g and foldables. Android was first released September 23, 2008 on the HTC Dream and now is running on more than two billion active devices. My first experience was with the T mobile my touch and I will tell you this android has done an amazing job innovating the smartphone industry. Every update just gets simpler, smarter, and more helpful. Here are ten new features/changes made to android 10.
- Dark Theme Android 9.0 introduced Dark mode, but you were only able to change the background of the notification shade and app drawer, leaving settings and apps unaffected. Finally you can enable Dark Theme for your entire system or for specific apps like Photos and Calendar. It’s easier on your eyes, and your phone battery will get a jump in battery life.
- 2. Gesture navigation has been around since 2009, but are finally starting to become more popular to use and helps you take advantage of the massive edge to edge displays we have now. Simple swipes can take you home by sliding your finger from the bottom- up on the homescreen. If you want to access the task manager you just go halfway then hold instead of holding the home button to access it. Once you get comfortable with the adjustment you won’t be looking back
- Live captions only work with selected phones and will caption any media on your phone. Live Caption works with audio recordings, phone calls, video calls, songs, video games and etc. The feature captions any content that you’re streaming, or have downloaded. It doesn’t matter if it’s from a first-party app or a third-party app if your phone can play it, your phone can caption it. It will caption real-time spoken words in over 70 languages and dialects.
- Accent Colors Is another feature added. You will find this feature in the Developer options It will have eight colors Blue (the default choice)Cinnamon,Black,Green,Ocean (a different shade of blue),SpaceOrchid,Purple
- Family Link lets parents monitor app activity, screen time, internet access, and more. is great for all the parents out there that are concerned about what their children might see and helps you build healthy mobile habits. You can manage the apps that they use. You can use this feature to block apps that you don’t want available from the playstore to download or you can just hide them. To me this is one of the most important feature in family link is the ability to see your child’s device location. It will help give you a piece of mind knowing that your child is safe or where they are supposed to be when not in your presence.
- Focus mode is for anyone like me that can easily get distracted by apps, especially ones like facebook or instagram. Focus mode lets you select apps to pause temporarily. So if you want to turn off a distracting app to get something done, all you have to do is tap and all the apps you selected to pause will not be available to use.
- App Timers are finally here for the majority of people like myself that can lose track of how much time we spend on our phones. With this feature, it gives you the ability to limit how much time you spend on one particular app and any app with time restrictions will display the remaining duration In the recent apps location and reset the time limit every day. This is going to greatly help you see what apps you have excessively used and manage a healthy time limit for yourself. Another feature that’s great for limiting what your children are doing.
- Sound Amplifier is another great addition to Android 10. It’s been in the app store, but with android 10 it’s preinstalled. There are millions of people around the world that suffer from hearing loss and i’m pretty sure i’m one of them. Many people with hearing loss have benefited from modern technology and Sound Amplifier continues that advancement. With this feature you will be able to customize speech levels, noise reduction, and whether you’re using your phone’s mic or your headphones. It also lets you individually adjust the left or right ear piece individually. The only downside, it’s only available for both 3.5mm and usb- c headphones. For now people like me with bluetooth headphones are out of luck, but the more advanced bluetooth technology becomes i’m sure it won’t be long until it’s available for all devices.
- Wi-Fi password sharing is now available using a QR code to finally make it simpler and more efficient instead of having to input what seems like a hundred characters to enter. Now you can simply go to your settings and show your guest your QR code and can be done in a matter of seconds instead of having to find the paper with your password or have to go to the modem to retrieve it. Not only will this work with all android phones it also works with Iphones as well. Any device that has a QR code reader will be compatible.
- Security updates are also getting an overhaul. With Android 10 you will not have to wait for your phones manufacture to push these updates anymore. Google has monthly security updates for their phones, but typically that’s not the case with other phone manufactures Google to push out crucial security and privacy fixes straight from the Google Play store. That means users won’t have to wait for their phone manufacturer to release a full Android system update to make sure their data is protected. more frequent security updates are becoming more and more critical as our phones are tempting targets for hackers and thieves the world over.
When will you get android 10
Android 10 rolling out to the Essential Phone and Google’s Pixel devices, At this point, the OTA update should have landed on your phone by now. Samsung phones should be available at the beginning of the year with beta starting in october. Other manufactures will get the update as late as Q2 of 2020. Keep an eye open for this massive overhaul.